.Did you know that according to the United States National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health, an estimated 27 million Americans suffer from thyroid disease? Not only that but 13 million of these sufferers are currently undiagnosed. Additionally, the risk of thyroid disease increases as you age and women are seven times more likely than men to be diagnosed with thyroid issues.
The thyroid is a small gland which can be found in the middle of the lower neck that produces a hormone that impacts each and every cell, organ and tissue in the human body. The thyroid gland is responsible for regulating body temperature and the heart rate as well as the production of protein and controlling the rate of your metabolism.
The causes of thyroid issues can be varied, but the 4 most common causes are:
1. Toxicity: Radiation and Heavy Metal exposure
2. Deficiency: In Iodine and Selenium
3. Food Intolerance: Gluten and A1 Casein Allergy
4. Hormone Imbalance – High Cortisol from stress, too many carbs, too little fat in diet.
In just a minute I will discuss the top ways to cure your thyroid problem but let’s first see if you potentially have a thyroid problem.
An underactive thyroid, hypothyroidism, is when the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormone and an overactive thyroid, hyperthyroidism, is when the vital gland produces too much of the needed regulatory hormone.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism:
Dr. Brownstein says, “The commonly used iodine spot skin test is useless. It’s better to get a “spot urinary iodine test” – which test your morning urine to see how much iodine is present. Or, you can take a “24 hour iodine loading test” – which gives you a pretty good idea how much iodine has been excreted and retained. Bottom line: get tested and consult a qualified, holistic medical professional.”
According to Dr. Datis Kharrazian, 90% of people with hypothyroidism have Hashimoto’s, an autoimmune hypothyroid condition, whereby the immune system attacks thyroid tissue. Therefore, to cure thyroid disease, or any autoimmune condition, you have to get to the source of the imbalance; not suppress the symptoms as is done with medication.. The great news is there are all-natural remedies that can help support thyroid function!
So lets talk about the top 7 things you MUST do to cure your thyroid for good.
Natural Hypothyroidism TreatmentHere are the 8 Secrets to fixing your thyroid issues:
1. Go Gluten and A1 Casein FREE – the most common allergies and food intolerances today are from wheat and dairy products because of the hybridized proteins of gluten and a1 casein. These proteins can cause “Leaky Gut” which in turn will cause inflammation of the thyroid and effect it’s function. Follow a grain-free diet or at least go gluten free. Then only consume dairy products that come from A2 cows, goat milk, or sheep milk.
2. NO BPA – Bisphenol A (BPA) is found in plastic bottles and can disrupt your endocrine system and effect your thyroid. I recommend only drinking out of glass, stainless steel, or BPA free plastic bottles.
3. Check Your Iodine Levels – If they are low use a kelp or organic liquid iodine supplement.
4. Heavy Metal Detox – I recommend using a combination of Milk Thistle, Turmeric, Chlorella, and Cilantro to detox these harmful metals from your cells and organs.
5. More Selenium – Make sure you’re getting enough selenium in your diet but also don’t go overboard. Some of the best selenium containing foods are brazil nuts, salmon, sunflower seeds, beef, mushrooms and onions.
6. Adaptogen Supplements – Can lower cortisol levels and improve thyroid function like Ashwagandha and Tulsi.
7. Silver Fillings Removal – if you have amalgam fillings talk with a DAMS mercury safe dentist about proper removal.
8. Lower Carbohydrate Intake – Lower your intake of sugars and grains and replace them with healthy fats. Most women especially consume far too many carbs which increase estrogen and negatively effect the thyroid. Instead consume healthy fats that will balance hormones, like: coconut oil, coconut milk, avocado, grass-fed meat, wild salmon, chia, flaxseeds, and hemp seeds.
See Dr Grandi for more information